Dating from the 10th or 11th century, Saint Ronan’s Cross is the most important artefact in the museum.
The stone cross, featuring the figure of a naked man and three holes indicate the Trinity, suggests the merging of pre-Christian and Christian beliefs.
Recovered last century from the island of North Rona, forty-four miles north of the Butt of Lewis, the cross was believed to mark the grave of Saint Ronan and was donated by the Friends of St. Moluag’s church in Eoropie to Comunn Eachdraidh Nis.
Help us to preserve and promote the history, culture, language and heritage of North Lewis by becoming a member of Comunn Eachdraidh Nis.Support Us →
Butt of Lewis Lighthouse
Designed by David Stevenson and built in 1862, the Butt of Lewis lighthouse stands at Rubha Ròbhanais, the most northerly point in the Western Isles
Crofting is small-scale, subsistence farming which has sustained families throughout the Highlands and Islands of Scotland since the 18th century
Communities in the north and west of Lewis were for centuries enterprising and largely self-sufficient